If you’re marketing a business, service or product, then it helps to have a positioning statement. This is a summary of how you wish to be perceived. It serves as the basis for defining who you are.
You can create one by answering the following seven questions:
- Who are you?
- What business are you in?
- Who do you serve?
- What are the special needs of the people you serve?
- Who are you competing with?
- What makes you different to those competitors?
- What unique benefit does a client derive from your service?
Once you’ve answered these, hone them down into a single sentence if you can, one that summarises who you are and the service you offer.
It may not be something to set the world on fire as far as an advertising slogan goes, but it helps to keep your marketing efforts on track, by defining what is special about the business service or product in question.